Friday, August 17, 2007

Rain in the desert

I got home from work this afternoon. It was hot and I had been riding my bike, and as I rode into the driveway, I started to feel sprinkles falling on my head. For those who do not live in Utah or are unfamiliar with the climate difference between here and Minnesota, but it has been extremely dry for me. I don't love the humidity in Minnesota, but living in a near-desert climate must be taxing on me, because as I felt those sprinkles, I found myself longing for a good downpour. I went out to the back yard to check on my tomatoes, which have been growing nicely by the way, and the sprinkles became a little stronger, and I stood there in the sun, under the single cloud as it passed over our house, and I luxuriated in the wet drops reaching my skin. I prayed for a downpour, so I could be drenched in cool water.

One minute later the rain came falling, and I was drenched along with my tomatoes. It was one of the best feelings in the world.

1 comment:

andrew j. ulasich said...

I love being drenched in downpours.