Thursday, March 16, 2006

Full Day

Today was probably one of the best days I've had in a long while. And it wasn't because I had one major event that was really really cool. The entire day was just very well-rounded and full of good things. This morning I got up early and met with Scott, a local Minneapolis Church-planter, sturting up stuff downtown Minneapolis. I used to work with Scott at camp, and since he's been in the cities for a while, I've been meeting with him every once in a while just to talk about stuff, which is really cool. He's a funny guy, and he's developing a cool perspective on things. He's still very passionate about reaching people, but he's disillusioned with the judgemental forms of Evangelicalism that have run rampant (the "you're going to hell" approach). So he's asking the questions of how to love people and connect with people who don't know the love of God that is in Jesus. He's also dealing with the need to shift paradigms in the way we look at church (those are my words for what he's dealing with), which I think is very cool.

Then I went to work, which was a fine time. I got along with my co-workers; I was in an agreeable mood most of the time.

Then I went to a Tai-Chi class. Kind of an introductory class that a friend invited me to. The teacher was really cool, and it was really really hard. My knees were seriously shaking by the time we finished warming up. Thankfully I was wearing loose windbreaker pants, and I don't think it was incredibly noticeable. But holy crap, there was so much bending the knees, it was excruciating. But to me that just meant it was challenging, and it really did feel good to do it. They were very slow simple forms, but he gave us a small idea of their application. After the free class (did I mention it was a one-time free class?:)) was over, some of us stood around and the guy talked about his movie-making career. Being an expert martial arts instructor, he is also into making kung fu movies and that kind of thing. It sounded really cool. The guy was in his forties and he looke like he was thirty. I definitely want to pursue the study in the future, given the time and the money.

And to top it off, I spent more than an hour and a half working on my story. I think that may be a record. But at the Scott's instigation this morning, I set my watch alarm for around 11:30, in order to set a time to devote to my writing. I did that for an hour, even though I had done more than a half hour previously in the evening.

So, with great satisfaction, I announce that today was a very positive, very full day, and I had a very good time. I hope this kind of thing continues.

No comments: