Sunday, January 08, 2006

A year from now

A friend of mine asked me where I saw myself a year from now, and like her, I really had to decide that I could not say with any amount of certainty at all. That is so exciting to me, that I don't know how to express it. I love change. which is weird, because I'm such a structured person. I tend to perform well in routine. But I do not grow as much. And of course, I love growth. Sometimes, I want to be the greatest man in the world - but then I think that would be a bit too much pressure and I don't think it would be all that fun. So I rethink that particular idea. I always want to be greater than I am, which is one of the things I have always respected myself for. Whether I have lived up to that desire is another question, but the want has always been there. I believe every person has the potential to be more than they are, to gain, not just in wisdom and experience, which seems to happen naturally with time for most people (with some exceptions, of course), but also in strength of purpose and store of love and faith. It is nice to think that I have come to the point that I'm at, and in the last few years, I see progress. I wish I could be more specific, but there are many ways in which I am a new person from the one who graduated and moved back to Minnesota. Obviously, as anyone who truly knows me can tell you, I have not yet "arrived" anywbere (and I won't go into how we define anywhere). But I feel good about it. Now if circumstances would just start to work out more, I'd like that a lot too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A year from "now" is about to be Now. I love what you had to say in this blog. It's refreshing to hear how open you are to the Spirit, and what God is drawing you towards. Your words are a blessing jake. As are you.

yours....*cas